The law impacts nearly every aspect of energy production and distribution.
Energy companies must navigate complex regulations to establish and maintain infrastructure, construct facilities, set or change rates and comply with environmental standards.
Deep Roots In The Region
At Hinkle Shanor LLP, we provide comprehensive legal services to meet the needs of public utilities, energy companies and cooperatives throughout New Mexico. Since the firm’s founding more than a century ago, we have built on a legacy of excellence in providing cutting-edge legal solutions for businesses in diverse sectors both locally and nationwide.
Situated in the oil- and gas-rich Permian Basin, we are well-equipped with the resources, knowledge and local roots necessary for providing strategic legal guidance in public utility and energy law.
A Comprehensive Practice Encompassing Intersecting Areas Of Law
The firm’s public utility practice handles filings, hearings before administrative law judges and administrative appeals through various state and federal agencies, including:
- The New Mexico Public Regulation Commission
- The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
- The New Mexico Environment Department
Our attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of energy law as well as overlapping areas such as environmental and natural resources law. We handle a broad range of legal issues ranging from regulatory and compliance matters to complex litigation.
Major areas of our practice include:
- Acquisitions and divestitures of gas, electric or other utilities
- Rate cases and regulatory proceedings
- Transactions and financing matters
- Leases, service agreements, franchise agreements, power purchase agreements and other contracts
- Real estate and land use matters, including easements, right of way and eminent domain
- Rule-making challenges
- Appeals of agency decisions
We are also at the forefront of renewable energy initiatives. The firm played a central role in the legal aspects of establishing New Mexico’s largest solar field. Our lawyers provide comprehensive legal counsel for clients pursuing alternative energy sources.
Please contact the firm for more information about our public utility law practice. We offer convenient offices in Santa Fe and throughout New Mexico.