- Richard E. Olson
- Areas of Practice
- Professional Experience
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Representative Matters
Richard E. Olson is a partner in the Roswell office of Hinkle Shanor LLP. He is currently the Partner in Charge of the local office and Managing Partner for the firm. He has concentrated his practice in State and Federal Court litigation in the areas of commercial and contractual disputes, with particular emphasis on the Oil and Gas Industry, defense of tort and civil rights litigation and employment litigation.
Mr. Olson received his Bachelor of Arts degree with Honors in 1975 from the University of Mississippi and his law degree in 1978 from Southern Methodist University where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He is a member of the State Bar of New Mexico, and the Defense Research Institute. Rich was inducted into the American College of Trial lawyers in 2004. He has been listed as a Best Lawyer in America in Commercial Litigation since its inception and has been listed as a New Mexico SuperLawyer since 2007. He has served on the Roswell City Council and in the New Mexico House of Representatives. He has been a member of the Board of Directors of Eastern New Mexico Medical Center and the Assurance Home of Roswell.
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyer in America
- New Mexico SuperLawyer
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- J.D. – 1978
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- B.A. summa cum laude – 1975
- Pi Kappa Phi
- Phi Delta Phi
- Phi Kappa Theta
- New Mexico
- United States District Court, New Mexico
- United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Watson v New Mexico Military Institute, 242 F. 3d 1237 (10th 2001)
- May v DCP Midstream, LP 148 N.M. 595, 241 P.3d 193, 2010-NMCA-087 (2010)
- Maestas v Hall, 274 P.3d 66, 2012-NMSC-006 (2012)
- New Mexico Military Institute v NMMI Alumni Association, Inc. 458 P.3d 434 , ____, NMCA ____
- Chisos, Ltd.,v JKM Energy, LLC, 150 N.M. 315, 258 P.3d 1107, 2011-NMCA-026 (2011)
- Kinetics, Inc. v El Paso Products Co., 99 N.M. 22, 653 P.2d 522, 1982-NMCA-160 (1982)
- Andrews v U.S .Steel Corporation, 149 N.M. 461, 250 P.3d 887, 2011-NMCA-032 (2011)
- Smith v Village of Ruidoso, 128 N.M. 470, 994 P.2d 50, 1999-NMCA-151 (1999)
- Smith v City of Artesia, 108 N.M. 339, 772 P.2d 373, 1989-NMCA-015 (1989)
- In Re Estate of Sumler, 133 N.M. 319, 62 P.3d 776, 2003-NMCA-030 (2002)
- Baldonado, et al v El Paso Natural Gas, in the District Court of Chaves County, NM.
- Villa, et al v HollyFrontier Corporation et al, in the District Courts of Eddy County, NM and Dallas County, TX.
- Bustos v Zia Park, in the District Court of San Miguel County, NM.
- Cervantes v Targa Resources, et al, in the District Court of Lea County, NM.