- Richard E. Olson
- Areas of Practice
- Professional details
- Professional Associations and Memberships
Richard E. Olson is a partner in the Roswell office of Hinkle Shanor LLP. He is currently the Partner in Charge of the local office. He has concentrated his practice in State and Federal Court litigation.
Tort Litigation/Civil Rights – Mr. Olson has represented both the prosecution and defense of tort claims in the areas of professional malpractice, products liability, civil rights, premises liability, injuries and accidents in the oil field, industrial accidents and business tort litigation.
Commercial/Oil and Gas Litigation – Mr. Olson has handled numerous cases in the area of commercial and oil and gas litigation. They include issues involving royalty disputes, disputes between working interest partners and operators, and surface use, zoning, environmental liability and creditor – debtor issues and the defense of class actions. He has also represented the defense and prosecution in a number of antitrust cases.
Employment Litigation – Mr. Olson has been involved in the prosecution and defense of claims under Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, The Americans with Disabilities Act, procedural due process cases, as well as claims under the State Human Rights Act, for breach of express and implied employment contracts and breach of restrictive covenants.
Mr. Olson received his Bachelor of Arts degree with Honors in 1975 from the University of Mississippi and his law degree in 1978 from Southern Methodist University where he was a member of the Order of the Coif. He is a member of the State Bar of New Mexico, and the Defense Research Institute. He became a fellow of the American College of Trial lawyers in 2004. He has been listed as a Best Lawyer in America in Commercial Litigation since its inception, and has been listed as a New Mexico SuperLawyer since 2007. He is a former Roswell city councilman, former member of the New Mexico House of Representatives, and former member of the Board of Trustees of Eastern New Mexico Medical Center in Roswell.
- Tort Litigation/Civil Rights
- Commercial/Oil and Gas Litigation
- Employment Litigation
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyer in America
- New Mexico SuperLawyer, 2007 – 2008
- Best Lawyers 2014 – Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers 2014 – Litigation – Labor and Employment
- Best Lawyers 2014 – Litigation – Municipal
- Southern Methodist University School of Law, Dallas, Texas
- J.D. – 1978
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- University of Mississippi, Oxford, Mississippi
- B.A. summa cum laude – 1975
- Honors: With Honors
- Pi Kappa Phi
- Phi Delta Phi
- Phi Kappa Theta
- New Mexico, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Defense Research Institute, Member, 1983 – Present
- Roswell City Council, Councilman, 1986 – 1988
- New Mexico State Representative, 1989 – Present
- Board of Trustees of Eastern New Mexico Medical Center in Roswell, Member
- State Bar of New Mexico, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- American College of Trial lawyers, Fellow