Mr. Hnasko represents a variety of clients in all aspects of environmental law, including property owners, public interest groups, financial institutions, oil and gas producers, private citizens, claimants and defendants in complex toxic tort cases, and petroleum product distributors. His environmental experience includes prosecuting cases under the National Environmental Policy Act, prosecuting and defending complex toxic tort cases, claims under the federal Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act of 1980, issues under the federal Clean Water Act and New Mexico Water Quality Act, and a variety of cases under the New Mexico Groundwater Protection Act and other environmental laws.
Mr. Hnasko has authored numerous articles on environmental liabilities, and he has lectured on a variety of environmental subjects to the State bars of Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico and to other continuing legal education groups. Mr. Hnasko is an A-V rated attorney who is recognized by the New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization for his knowledge of environmental law. He is a Fellow in the American College of Environmental Lawyers.
Mr. Hnasko has been listed as a Best Lawyer in America for environmental law for over ten consecutive years and has been selected as a New Mexico SuperLawyer in Environmental Litigation since 2007. He was honored as Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year in Santa Fe for environmental litigation in 2013 and 2019, and for environmental law in 2011.
- Environmental and Natural Resources Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified in Environmental Law, by the New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization, 2001 – 2
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Law 2003 – present
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year, Santa Fe, Environmental Law, 2011
- Best Lawyers’ Lawyer of the Year, Santa Fe, Environmental Litigation, 2013 and 2019
- Southwest SuperLawyer, 2007 – present
- A-V Rated – Martindale Hubbell
- Chambers US
University of North Dakota School of Law, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- J.D. – 1982
- Honors: Order of the Coif
University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- B.A. – 1979
- Honors: with Honors
- Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Chairman, New Mexico Legal Specialization, Committee for Environmental Law
- Past Chair, State Law Resources
- New Mexico, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1982