- Jared A. Hembree
- Areas of Practice
- Professional Experience
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Publications and Presentations
Jared A. Hembree is a partner in the Roswell, New Mexico office of Hinkle Shanor LLP and is an adjunct professor at Washington & Lee University School of Law, where he teaches Oil and Gas Law. His primary practice is in oil and gas law, including title examination, transactions, and litigation.
Mr. Hembree is a Trustee of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and is on the faculty for the RMMLF Federal Oil and Gas Leasing Short Course. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the Independent Petroleum Association of New Mexico and has served in various capacities for the American Association of Professional Landmen and the New Mexico Landmen’s Association..
He is admitted to practice before the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, the United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, and the New Mexico Supreme Court.
Mr. Hembree received a J.D. from Washington & Lee University School of Law in 2005. While at Washington & Lee, Mr. Hembree served as an Editor for the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy’s 2005 Symposium Edition and as Chairman of the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Distinguished Lecture Series. He graduated with Honors receiving a B.A. in History with a Minor in Museum Studies from Montana State University in Bozeman, Montana in 2000.
Mr. Hembree sits on the boards of directors for a number of civic organizations, including the Eastern New Mexico State Fair.
- Adjunct professor at Washington & Lee University School of Law
- Oil and Gas Law
- New Mexico’s Horizontal Drilling Rules and the Effect on Pooling Clauses in Fee Oil and Gas Leases, Permian Basin Landman’s Spring Seminar
- Examining Exploration Agreements, Options and Joint Ventures, Oil, Gas, and Mineral Land Law Seminar, Half Moon Seminars
- Forced Pooling of Oil and Gas in New Mexico; New Mexico Conservation, Capture, Pooling and Unitization Seminar, Half Moon Seminars
- Identifying Rights, Duties and Risks in Contracts, Leases and Agreements; Agreements and Disputes in Oil and Gas Production Seminar, Half Moon Seminar
- No Fracing Way: A New Mexico Regulatory Update on Horizontal Drilling, Pits, and Hydraulic Fracturing, New Landman’s Association Spring Seminar
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, Lexington, Virginia
- J.D. – 2005
- Law Journal: Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy’s 2005 Symposium Edition, Editor
- Chairman of the Lewis F. Powell, Jr. Distinguished Lecture Series
- President of the W&L Federalist Society Chapter
- Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana
- B.A. – 2000
- Major: History
- Minor: Museum Studies
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- New Mexico Supreme Court
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New Mexico State Bar, Member
- Chaves County Bar Association, Member
- New Mexico Landman’s Association, Member
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- American Association of Professional Landmen, Associate Member
- Mineral Title Examination on Federal Lands, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Special Institute on Oil and Gas Mineral Title Examination, Mineral Law Series, Volume 2019, Number 4, 2019
- Holding A Wolf by the Ears: A Look into BLM’s Policy on the Retroactive Adjudication of Operating Rights Transfers, 63rd Annual Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, 2017
- Chapter 8: Spacing, Pooling, and Unitization-Landmen’s Legal Handbook 5th Edition, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, 2013
- Adapting Federal Units and Unit Operating Agreements to Account for Horizontal Development, Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation Special Institute on Horizontal Oil and Gas Development, Mineral Law Series, Volume 2012, Number 4, 2012